Please be aware that some residents have reported receiving scam emails claiming to be about a 'Council Tax Refund'. A genuine notification will not ask you to click on a link within the email, and any email asking for personal details would come directly from a member of the Council Tax team with a welhat.gov.uk email address. 

Please do not click on a link within, or submit any personal details in response to, an email which you suspect may not be genuine. If you require further clarification about an email please contact the Council Tax office on 01707 357000 or c.tax@welhat.gov.uk. For more advice and information on fraudulent emails please visit the gov.uk website.

Council tax support

You may be entitled to money off your bill. The amount of help you get depends on your personal circumstances, your income and your savings.

How and when to claim

You should contact us to make a claim. You can use the online Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit Calculator to work out whether you are eligible for support.

  • Only those named on the Council Tax bill can claim. 
  • You should make a claim as soon as you think you need to because the reduction cannot normally be backdated.
  • If you know your circumstances are going to change, you can claim up to eight weeks before the change is due to happen.

Council Tax Support Hardship Relief

If you are receiving Council Tax Support but you still have difficulty paying your council tax you may be able to get extra financial help.
The Council has a limited amount of money each year that can be spent to help people with their council tax charge if they are suffering exceptional hardship. This extra help is called Council Tax Support Hardship Relief, for more information, or to apply download the pdf icon Council Tax Hardship Relief Fund application [1MB].

Other benefits

If you make a claim for Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based), you can claim Council Tax Support at the same time. The Benefits Agency should pass the form to us but we do recommend you also contact our Benefits Section.

Forms are available from our council offices or by calling us.

Discounts and exemptions

Your council tax bill can also be reduced due to other circumstances. See Discounts and Exemptions.

Change of circumstances

If you claim Council Tax Support and/or Second Adult Rebate, you must keep us informed about any changes happening to you and the people living with you that may affect the amount you are entitled to receive.

Even small changes may affect how much we can pay you. See the sort of changes you must tell us about


Powered by GOSS iCM