This is an old version of the council's website. It may contain information that is not up-to-date.

To visit our new website click or tap here.

Online Permit System

Resident Permit Parking Areas operate in residential areas where high volumes of non-resident parking is persistent. This restriction allows residents and their visitors to park with a valid permit/voucher, but still prevents non-residents from parking during the days and times the scheme operates.

Permits and visitor vouchers can be purchased and managed on an online system. 

Please read all of the information carefully, including the user guide before registering/applying for permits or paperless visitor vouchers.

The system should be relatively easy to use, however a pdf icon user guide [3MB] has been produced to assist you with all of the procedures, from registering, purchasing permits uploading evidence and activating visitor vouchers as and when needed.

These permits and visitor vouchers will be virtual (paperless), the enforcement officers hand held computers have all the permit details available to them when they patrol.
Therefore, it is imperative that all of the details are entered accurately, to prevent a parking ticket been issued.

The new system has a number of benefits to improve on the current system, which include:

  • Managing your permits and visitor vouchers at your own convenience, and visitor vouchers can be set in advance.

  • Temporary/Courtesy cars - Permits purchased through the new system will allow you to change your main vehicle to a temporary vehicle up to two times in each permit year.

  • Applicants can now make payments safely through the new system. The paper application form arrangement means you have to wait for the permit team to call in order to make payment. Payments made via the online permit system will show on Debit/Credit card statements as "NSL-Welwyn"

  • Although all applications/changes will need to be approved by the Permit team, applications are processed with two working days. Visitor Vouchers will need to be approved before being available for use.

  • The system is mobile friendly, which means you can use your smartphone to use the system.

  • Only 1 account is required per household - you do not need to have one account per permit or application. This reduces the proof of residence required to be loaded onto the account to 1 per account not per applicant.

To register and apply for permits and paperless visitor vouchers, please use the link below:


Please note: Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council do not manage the permit scheme in Lambs Close, Cuffley. Please contact Northaw and Cuffley Parish Council on 01707 875825.

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council also do not manage the permit schemes in Salisbury Village on the former Hatfield Aerodrome. Those roads include Mosquito Way, Dragon Road, The Runway etc. Please contact the company listed on the signage within those roads regarding parking permits.


Permit/ Voucher TypePriceConcessions

Resident motorcycle



Resident first vehicle*


*Free to disabled driver with valid Blue Badge

Resident second vehicle



Resident third vehicle



Business vehicle 



Hatfield Town Centre Permit (B04 only)


Doctor/Health Visitor


Daily visitor vouchers - Pack of 20*

​Limited to 240 days worth in a 12 month period


50% discount to residents receiving a state pension

Change of address/vehicles details£5 
Replacement for lost/stolen/damaged permit£5 
Admin Fee for refund of Permit£5 

Frequently Asked Questions about the new Online Permit System 

Q. How do I use the online permit system?

A. Further details on how to use the system can be found in the pdf icon user guide [3MB]

Q. How do I buy my permit?

A. You can now purchase your resident permit through our new online permit system, you will need to initially set up your own account before making any applications. Once registered, you can use this account to manage your resident permit(s) and visitor vouchers.

Q. Do I need to display a resident permit?

A. Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council now use an online permit system, which means you will no longer need to display a paper permit in your vehicle, instead the Enforcement Officers will carry out a check by using the vehicle registration. Please note a resident or visitor permit does not guarantee you a space to park in your street, however it does allow your vehicle to park within the allotted parking area of the zone, but not on any yellow lines, footways or verges. 

Q. But what about my current paper resident permit?

A. Please continue to use and display until its expiry date, there is no need to replace it until the permit has expired. 

Q. How do I renew on the online system? 

A. As a first time user of the new system, once registered you will need to set up the account, including details of vehicle. For first time application via the new account please select "Apply for a Permit".

Q. What documents do I need to apply for a resident permit?

A. For a resident parking permit you will still need to supply proof of residence, as well as required proof of the vehicle being associated with the property. Full details are listed during the application process on the online permit system.

Q.  How do you upload my proof/evidence onto the new system?

A. You can either scan the documents, or you can photograph each document separately using a smart phone and upload these photos.

If you are not able to do either of these you can bring your documents in to the Council reception and they will scan them for you.

Q.  But I've supplied my proofs when I first applied for my permit...

A. We will now request all applicants (online or non-online) supply fresh copies of the required proofs every 3 years to ensure have the correct details and confirm ongoing eligibility.

Q. Do I need to wait for a phone call to process payment?

A. No not anymore - the new online permit system also includes the payment process, meaning you don't have to wait for us to call you to process payment. You need to register a debit/credit card which you would like payments to be taken from. 

Q. I do not want to register my card details on the system, can I still use the new online system?

A. You have the option of making a one off payment rather than registering your card details. You will need to select the options "Pay Now" or "Online After Approval"

Q. Are my details secure?

A. Yes the system is secure via an encrypted server as shown on the website address bar by a padlock symbol.

Q. I am disabled and a blue badge holder - do I still get a discount on my resident permit?

A. Yes, the discount is applied during the application stage - the first permit will be free for those residents who hold a valid disabled blue badge. 

Q. What about visitor vouchers?

A. The paperless versions are now available to purchase through our online permit system. Once you have provided proof of residence, and purchased vouchers through the system; each time you wish to use one, just login and link it to the visitor's vehicle and day required.

Q. Do I need to display a visitor voucher?

A.  If you are using the new online visitor vouchers, once you have linked it to the visitor's vehicle and day in question, all details will show on the Enforcement Officer's handheld devices meaning nothing to place inside the vehicle. Paper vouchers will still need to be displayed clearly in the vehicle

Q. Can I still use my paper visitor vouchers?

A. Yes, they have a long life date and can still be used until the end of the last year on the voucher.

Q. I am elderly and on a fixed income. Do I still get a reduced rate in buying visitor vouchers?

A. Residents providing proof that they receive a state pension will be charged half price for visitor vouchers and the discount will be applied through the online system.

Q. What about the professional carers who come to attend to me on a regular basis. How will this affect them?

A. Doctors, health visitors and other professional carers may apply for a Doctor/Health Visitor permit. This is purchased by the practice or care company, and allows them to park within all the resident permit zones in Welwyn/Hatfield whilst they carry out their duties.

Q. How do I cater for trade's persons who come to my house?

A. Residents should use visitor vouchers (either the existing paper vouchers or the new online version) for visiting trade vehicles in a permit zone. 

Q. My car is in for repairs and I have a courtesy/hire vehicle - what do I do?

A. With the new online system you can now temporarily transfer your permit to another vehicle. Just login to the online permit system select the vehicle and add the temporary vehicle. Once you have finished using the temporary vehicle, login and delete the temporary vehicle.

Q. How do I change my contact details?

A. Once you are registered to the new online permit system it can be done via your account.

Q. What if I am unable to use the online system?

A. Please speak to our contact centre on 01707 357000 who will log a call for someone to contact you

Q. Are the permit prices changing?

A. No, there is no change to the current permit/voucher costs and admin charges under the new online system

Q. If residents are processing their own permits and vouchers, why do we have to pay for them?

A. The income generated from the sale of permits and vouchers pay for the processing (i.e. the new system) and contributes towards the cost of the enforcement of the resident parking permit scheme.

Powered by GOSS iCM